Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Response to The "Any" Symbols, part 1


A Response to The "Any" Symbols, part 1
Submitted by Peggy Hackney - April 2, 2003

I agree that we should be able to put the "Any" symbol onto the examples you have listed--if it is important that total freedom within that category be understood.

I am NOT interested in HAVING to put the "Any" symbol on Air Work, Rotation, etc. I prefer to leave it the way it is in our understanding--which is that those are general symbols. One of my hallmarks for a good system and theory is that it has both generality and specificity easily available. The more we complicate our system, the less fun it is, and, as you know, I feel that Motif should contribute to learning about movement in a way that fosters engagement and FUN! For beginning students, I think we should leave it the way it is. It is easy to teach and easy to learn.

For doing scores where the choreographer wants to specify that, for instance, total freedom is important and might even be required each different time the piece is done, then I favor the statement Ann has delineated.

I will be eager to hear what others think.

No comments:

Post a Comment